Wednesday, July 21, 2010

On the Needles...

....with apologies to the Knitmores for swiping their segment title!

On my needles currently are a vanilla sock made with Fortissma Socka yarn, which is in a glorious colorway and knits fairly easily except it's a little bit splitty.

I'm knitting this one with 60 cast on stitches on size 0 needles, and although the sock fits my foot, it's a little snugger than it needs to be. So I may knit its mate on size 1's instead.

This has my current Knit-in-Public project, but as I get close to the toe decreases I'm going to have to finish it in solitude. It's only my third sock, so the pattern isn't well-imprinted on my brain or in my fingers just yet. In other words, I can't talk and knit at the same time! For my next pair of socks, I'm planning to be more ambitious with the leg, and use a fancier pattern, but for this pair I just wanted to concentrate on getting the numbers and techniques right.

If I can't talk and knit on that project, on this one I can't even knit and breathe! Intense concentration row-by-row is the only way to get through this, Pam Budd's Little Arrowhead shawl and my first lace-knitting attempt. Other Ravelers scored it as "easy" so if it's easy for them it might be almost achievable by me.

Sigh. It sure doesn't look like much in this picture. I didn't have any way of spreading the stitches out more like they'll look when blocked. But you can see how pretty the color is, and I have to say that Trekking is lovely to knit with. I don't find it as splitty as the Fortissma Socka.  

This morning I got two more rows on successfully, counting and checking constantly.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment